Kennywood Opens New Dark Ride

Dean Robbins, Allegheny Campus Staff

Kennywood opened a brand new, dark ride in mid-July, replacing “Garfield’s Nightmare.” The ride is named “Old Mill,” a reference to the dark ride’s original theme.

Riders will enter a boat and slowly float through several spooky, Western-themed rooms. Award-winning Pittsburgh haunted house, The Scarehouse, assisted in the ride’s layout.

The Old Mill first opened at Kennywood in 1901 as a dark boat ride. Over the years, the layout and themes have changed but the general concept of the ride has stayed the same.“Hardheaded Harold’s Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway” was a popular version of the ride that opened in the 1970s, which the new version takes some of its haunted Western theming from. The previous iteration, “Garfield’s Nightmare,” opened in 2004 and has faced declines in ridership since.

Prior to the ride’s official opening, the park released a “POV” on YouTube, or point of view video.  Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the park was able to open for the season late on July 10th for pass holders and July 13th for general admission.

“Old Mill” comes during a period of expansion for Kennywood including the family-friendly Thomas Town and the large Steelers Country land, featuring the Steel Curtain rollercoaster.