Editorial: We came, we reported, we conquered

Rebekah Waldron, North Campus Editor

I’ve been tasked with putting together a final opinionated piece to represent The Voice now that my time as Editor-in-Chief has come to an end. I take this on with all of my staff members in mind, those I work with currently and those from semesters prior. 

When I started at The Voice, I was met by a very aggressive Editor-in-Chief at the time. The first article I wrote was awful, and then-Chief Allison Roup pulled me into the news office, sat me down, and taught me how to fix it. What I learned from her was that sometimes a submitted article is going to suck, and the best way to react to it is by leading through example.

I was quickly thrown into the Sports editor position, where I worked for Aidan Segal’s term as Editor-in-Chief. I missed a lot of layout days and turned in plenty of late articles during that time. I learned from Segal that it’s important to communicate when you need help with something, especially if there’s a team of people built to help you deal with life throwing you off your game. 

Next thing I know, I’m the new Chief. It was shaky ground at first, but over the last two semesters, I’ve realized that a decent Chief is made by their staff. 

With a killer combination of award-winning writers, photographers, and leaders on the editorial board, we managed to come out on top as the “winningest” (-Rob Velella) student newspaper. With recognitions from both the state and the country, being referenced on search engines, and other reporters approaching us to ask us what keeps us so motivated to keep working through the COVID breakout, many memories come to mind of the family-style friendships that have been built for our team as we’ve worked together.

There’s been different variations of leaders I’ve had the awesome fortune to work and grow with. I’ve built connections with each of you and I can say with pride that while almost all of you came into your positions with “I don’t know if I’m ready or right for this” attitudes, you’ve fulfilled responsibilities and done your part in making the organization a little family. 

I’ve also had the pleasure of working with a great many writers, photographers, and illustrators with great talents. It’s been an honor being a part of the process that allowed each of you to show off your skills on a published platform and help some of you build resumes and portfolios in the process. 

I’ve learned so many things from you guys and I can’t wait to move forward with my life so I can look back on thevoiceatccac.net and see everything you guys are continuing to accomplish. 

While the staff and board that I’ve worked hard and close with for so long now has been a family, I’d also like to think we can agree on one more thing before the end of the semester: Without the outstanding leadership we’ve been fortunate enough to have assigned to give us advice when we needed it, a lot of this would have been a lot harder to achieve than is was. 

Above all else, our supporting faculty, advertisers, and ever-growing audience of readers has kept us running, motivated, and honest. 

As a final sign-off for the outgoing Editor-in-Chief, I hope that everyone continues to look for the truth behind the report and the source behind the quote. Never stop being curious. Never stop searching for the facts. Best of luck to you all.