Netflix tosses a coin to Witcher

Ann Hodos, North Campus Staff

The Witcher is one of the latest binge-worthy Netflix series. Starring Henry Cavill as the lead role of The Witcher, Geralt of Rivia, this new series is packed with action, adventure, magic and the gray area of what is the lesser between two evils.
The story of The Witcher is an adaptation of a series of popular books and video games of the same name. The series follows three main characters and their stories leading up to the main timeline. This is certainly a show to binge watch because each episode gets more intense as the series continues.
One of the main story lines is the adventure of a genetically-enhanced magic monster hunter, called a Witcher, named Geralt of Rivia. We follow him on his journey to hunt monsters, understand his role in the world, and find the difference between two evils. As his story continues, he struggles with his moral code and finds out that humans may be far worse than the monsters he has encountered.
Meanwhile, Princess Cirilla, also known as Ciri, the Lion Cub of Cintra, is flees from an attack on her kingdom. We follow her on her quest, finding Geralt of Rivia, as instructed by her grandmother, Cintra’s queen, and coming to terms with mysterious power that lies within her. Being a princess, she was told not to tell anyone outside of the castle her true identity, and she soon realizes the consequences of being a princess during war time.
The third main storyline follows Yennefer (Anya Chalotra), an unfortunate teen purchased from her family by a mysterious sorceress for less than the price of a pig. We watch how Yennifer painfully learns the benefits and consequences of magic, and witness the path she takes to obtain power.
We observe their individual story lines, and later see how they all connect to the central plot. This series is a brilliant combination of fantasy and venture that portrays a morally conscious struggle that most people can relate to.
However, be warned. This series may not be for those with a weak stomach because there are a lot of scenes that may be too gory for some. Also, due to the excessive nudity, language and gore this series is meant for ages 17+.
In short, The Witcher, produced by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, is an overall intriguing series that is definitely worth the watch. Also, for those who are already fans, Netflix has announced that there will be another season, but the release date has yet to be announced.